More about style

Most Management doctrines will tell you that as a manager, you have to manage each employee differently.

I subscribe to a management philosophy taught by Ken Blanchard, called Situational Leadership.

In essence, Situational Leadership says that not only do you manage each employee differently, but you manage individual employees differently based on their various accountabilities. Situational Leaderships talks to four levels of Delegation.

If i have a very competent CFO, they have a high degree of latitude when it comes to their job of managing the company financials. They know more about it than I do. But if I were to give that CFO a special project they have never done before (e.g. to lead the turnaround of an ailing business unit), I would set up a framework whereby my CFO would check in with me fairly regularly and we would discuss progress and go-forward options.

In other words, different situations, where your team member has different degrees of skills and expertise, will require different management approaches and support to assure success.

This is another style methodology that is hard coded into my head because i have used it for so long. When i am talking to my team members about objectives, I naturally think about what the right management/delegation approach is. Also, once your team is also aware of this, it creates a common language and unbiased framework with which to discuss management objectives with your team members: "Listen, this is not in your usual sandbox of accountabilities, so lets schedule a weekly meeting for an update"; or " You have done this many times before, so I'm going to let you run with it; are you OK with us checking in at the end of the month?"

Think of the different accountabilities you have assigned to your people. Think about how best to support them. Adjust your style accordingly.

Comments

Popular posts