That gut feel

I put a shout-out onto LinkedIn asking people to tell me about leadership actions that have impact.
A colleague, Corey Moss wrote about the importance of making a first connection in that first conversation with a potential employee.

Often we forget that business, like anything, is about people. About people relating, about relationships. Often, having the technical skills is just chips to get in the game. The interview is about the connection. Do we click? Will this individual fit with the rest of the team? Does their style fit what I want out of the position? Does their style fill a gap I have on my team.

In other words, if that connection isn't there, it's an uphill battle to create a working relationship built on trust, engagement and team interaction.

So spend the time gauging for fit! And be OK with the fact that at the end of the day, if a candidate checks all the technical boxes, your gut matters big time!

Comments

Popular posts