Front and Center

When we make tough decisions, we deliberate long and hard before we do so. We come out with the conviction that what we are doing is the right course, and while it may displease some, we have weighed the options and made a decision.

Often, however, we miss the opportunity to communicate that rationale when needed. As with many other cases, understanding appropriate communication needs to be part of the thought process of our decisions.

I was scheduled to visit one of our operations and we discovered there would be some pretty aggressive behavior by a union local. A worker had been dismissed and the union leadership was using my visit to make their dissatisfaction known. My team discussed options from rescheduling the visit to shielding me from the situation.

When we arrived, we were confronted with bullhorns, placards and a big inflatable rat that had my name on it.
I approached the street side vocalists, and I'm pretty sure that took them by surprise. I introduced myself and asked them to put the bullhorns down and explain to me what their position was.

Their explanation ranged from emotional to very reasonable; while I felt uncomfortable and outnumbered, we discussed and pitched points of view at each other. I made sure they understood my team's position and why I supported it.

I'm pretty sure they were not satisfied but when I left, the labor representative said in front of the group " you may not understand where we are coming from but you came out to talk to us. Thanks" ( and then the bullhorns started again)

When I later spoke to the employees, I brought the incident up to all of them, told them what i had discussed with the labor representatives and my position around the issue.

To me it wasn't about convincing people, moreso it was an issue of culture. When we make decisions, we have to stand behind them and be seen to do so. We owe that to the people we lead.

It wasn't a fun day for me, it wasn't easy; it was uncomfortable ... but it was very satisfying.

Comments

Popular posts