Interviewing candidates and selling yourself

I was doing a performance review with one of my managers and we were discussing his inability to fill some key positions. It wasn't the first time we were having this discussion.

He told me that our competition was badmouthing us so he could't convince talent to join us. I found that unacceptable and told him so. i gave him numerous examples of his peers hiring talent under the same competitive conditions.

What was the difference?

His peers were selling. Once they found the talent they wanted to hire, they knew that bringing talent onboard was not just about interviewing. Often , they would bring me in; as CEO, I had the ability to help sell the vision, the excitement of joining our company. In other words, once they decided they wanted to hire the individual, they did what it took to close the deal!

At some point, things turn in the interview process, and it subtly becomes about selling yourself and selling the company, the company vision. When recruiting talent you have to recognize they have choices and they want to understand the culture, the energy, intangibles - these are a very big part of the "why should I join this company" equation!

Comments

Popular posts