Upselling. Really?

I was having a conversation with Gary Teitelbaum, the owner Afficionados,  the cigar and wine bar I frequent.  Gary understands customers. He makes his living understanding what they like and reccomending cigars or wines that he believes fit  his customers' tastes. And Gary believes in creating value for his customers.

The other day, Gary tells me "Hans, there are more books and classes than you can imagine about up selling. Everyone talks about winning customers and up-selling them into new products, more products, for more revenue and profit. I happen to think not doing that has real value. I don't up-sell. I get enjoyment out of showing them a wine  that they will like, that has a great pricepoint but tastes like a much more expensive wine.It would be so easy to get my customers' trust and then up-sell them into $100 bottles of wine. But guess what?  Never underestimate how much your customers talk to others. When they pour a nice bottle of wine for their guests and can talk about the incredible value they get, that comes right back to me."

And then he said to me " And do you know how I know that? Yesterday your friend Mark came in and asked me for the wine he had at your house , Hans. You told him what great value it was and he really liked it. Took him one day to come in and buy."

Customer loyalty. That's what matters.

Comments

Popular posts