Let your work speak for itself

When I took on the job of CEO, I had an executive on my team who took all of one day to walk in and tell me how everything my predecessor had done was wrong and that I should pretty much evaluate and change everything. I don't now what bothered me most 10 minutes into that conversation:

That the executive took absolutely no ownership of performance.  It was all the fault of his old boss.
That the executive was showing no loyalty to his team, let alone many of the great things they had accomplished.
That the executive felt that this kind of behind-the-back behavior would be condoned going forward
That there were no solutions, no go-forward agenda being posited by the executive.

I saw the behavior as a sign of leadership weakness, of a lack of self-confidence, of a lack of taking accountability.

There are many instances when organizational change is thrust upon us, including when we get a new leader. If we are confident in our work and in the way we contribute to team dynamics, to team culture, then we should be confident that our value and work will shine through.

If we are compelled to "ride the wave", to influence the "opportunity" of the new regime, then in all likelihood we are looking out for number one, and we are doing so from a position of insecurity. And in all likelihood, everyone around us sees it for what it is. And if that is the case, we are best served to look inwards, at ourselves, and our motivations.

Comments

Popular posts